Scion is a New Zealand Crown Research Institute (CRI) that specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry, wood product and wood-derived materials and other biomaterial sectors. Our purpose is to drive innovation and growth from these sectors to build economic value and contribute to beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
Scion is the leading CRI in the following areas:
• Sustainable forest management and tree improvement.
• Forestry biosecurity, risk management and mitigation.
• Wood processing, wood-related bioenergy, waste streams and other biomaterials.
• Forestry and forestry-based ecosystem services to inform land-use decision making.
Scion collaborates with other research providers and end-users to develop:
• Land-based biosecurity, soil and freshwater management.
• Climate change adaptation and mitigation.
• Indigenous forestry.
• Industrial biotechnology and high-value manufacturing.
We achieve our purpose through providing research, technology and knowledge in partnership with industry, government and Maori stakeholders.
Our vision is 'Prosperity from trees' : 'Mai i te ngahere oranga'.
Dr Heidi Dungey - Convenor
Ms Christl McMillan - Communications Lead
Mrs Lynn Bulman - Co-Chair
Dr Emily Telfer - Programme
Ms Kylie Gunn - Communications
Mr Graham Kelly - Finance
Mr Peter Clinton - Scientific Committee