LGNZ EXCELLENCE Awards
Thank you once again to all councils who submitting an entry to the inaugural LGNZ EXCELLENCE Awards.
We were delighted with the high number of entries we received from councils around the country and deeply impressed to see the projects that reinforce the fantastic work being led by local government to strengthen our communities and local economies.
Due to the high calibre of all the entries, the judging of the EXCELLENCE Awards did prove extremely difficult. However, the judging is now complete and we are excited to be able to announce the finalists for each category:
Fulton Hogan EXCELLENCE Award for community impact
The winner of this award has delivered a project or programme that has created a more culturally-connected, technically informed, safe or vibrant community in their city, town, district or region. They have demonstrated significant improvements to the way local government has engaged with their community.< /p>
- Environment Canterbury: Canterbury Water Management Strategy
- Hastings District Council: Development of William Nelson Park and Skatepark
- Horowhenua District Council: Community Well-being in Horowhenua
- Kawerau District Council: Kawerau Adopt a Nation – 2013 World Rafting Champs
- Rangitikei District Council: Path to Well-being Initiative
- Wairoa District Council: The Raupanga Amenity Area
MartinJenkins EXCELLENCE Award for local economic contribution
The winner of this award will have led an external or internal project or programme that has enhanced the economic wellbeing or the value proposition to ratepayers to parts or all of their city, town, district or region.
- Hauraki District Council: Hauraki Rail Trail
- Selwyn District Councill: Electronic Building Consent Process
- Wanganui District Council:100% Connected
Beca infrastructure project of the year.
This title will be awarded to the council whose infrastructure project has led to improved efficiencies and effectiveness for local businesses, residents and visitors, and has contributed to an economic or environmental benefit for their region.
- Kapiti Coast District Council: Kapiti Water Supply Project
- Taupo District Council: Taupo Water Treatment Plant
- Whangarei District Council:Lower Hatea River Crossing
Community event of the year.
The winning council has held an event which has engaged their local community, drawn attendance from outside the region and received positive exposure for their region on a national or international stage.
- Auckland Council: The Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines
- Napier City Council: Tremains' Art Deco Weekend
- New Plymouth District Council: TSB Bank Festival of Lights
The Skills Organisation outstanding contribution to local government.
This award has been judged by LGNZ's National Council and, due to the calibre of the nominations and the challenges in recognising multiple finalists, on this occasion just one truly deserving winner has been selected. This winner will be announced and awarded this significant achievement on the final day of conference.